In recent years, the situation with glycerol (Gl) has changed dramatically due to rapid development of biodiesel industry, in production of which Gl is formed in large quantities. Cyclic acetals of Gl are used as additives to motor fuels, as well as intermediates in the synthesis of various mono derivatives of Gl, which are widely used in food and pharmaceutical industries, cosmetics, etc. On the examples of Gl interaction with acetone (Ac), benzaldehyde (BA) and formaldehyde (FA), authors revealed the prospects of nitric acid-modified samples of natural clinoptilolite (H-СPT), bentonite (H-BNT) and trepel
(H-TRP) from Sokirnytsky, Dashukivsky and Konoplyansky deposits of Ukraine (respectively) as catalysts for Gl transformation into cyclic acetals. Factors that determine the optimal conditions for acid modification of raw material, providing maximum conversion of Gl and catalytic activity of obtained samples, have been identified. A characteristic feature of studied processes is need to change the reaction conditions when changing the carbonyl compound-partner of Gl. It was found that number of catalyst samples obtained on H-BNT basis, their activity is superior (or comparable) with cation exchange resin KU-2.
- Leung D.Y.C., Wu X., Leung M.K.H. A review on biodiesel production using catalyzed transesterification. Appl. Energy. 2010. 87(4): 1083–1095. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.10.006
- Hasheminejad M., Tabatabaei M., Mansourpanah Y., Far M.K., Javani A. Upstream and downstream strategies to economize biodiesel production. Bioresour. Technol. 2011. 102(2): 461–468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.09.094
- Lee J.H., Kim S.B., Kang S.W. et al. Biodiesel production by a mixture of Candida rugosa and Rhizopus oryzae lipasesusing a supercritical carbon dioxide process. Bioresour. Technol. 2011. 102(2): 2105–2108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.08.034
- Olutoye M.A., Hameed B.H. Synthesis of fatty acid methyl ester from used vegetable cooking oil by solid reusable Mg1-xZn1+xO2 catalyst. Bioresour. Technol. 2011. 102(4): 3819–3826. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.11.100
- Lyadov A.S., Khadzhiev S.N. Bioglycerol as an Alternative Raw Material for Basic Organic Synthesis. Russ. J. Appl. Chem. 2017. 90: 1727–1737. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1070427217110015
- Silva P.H.R., Gonzalves V.L.C., Mota C.J.A. Glycerol acetals as anti-freezing additives for biodiesel. Bioresour. Technol. 2010. 101(15): 6225–6229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.02.101
- Torres M.D., Jimenezoses G., Mayoral J.A., Pires E., M. de los Santos. Glycerol ketals: Synthesis and profits in biodiesel blends. Fuel. 2012. 94: 614–616. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2011.11.062
- Bournay L., Casanave D., Delfort B., Hillion G., Chodorge J.A. New heterogeneous process for biodiesel production: A way to improve the quality and the value of the crude glycerin produced by biodiesel plants. Catal. Today. 2005. 106(1-4): 190–192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2005.07.181
- Siggia S., Hanna J.G. Quantitative organic analysis via functional groups (Kolichestvenniy organicheskiy analiz po funcionalnim gruppam). Moscow, 1983. (in Russian).
- Mörsel J.-Th, R. Heyer. A colorimetric method for the determination of glycerides. Die Nahrung. 1990. 34(3): 287–288. https://doi.org/10.1002/food.19900340325
- Rakitskaya T.L., Raskola L.A, Kiose T.A. et al. Adsorption of 3d-metal ions by natural and acid-modified clinoptilolite). Odesa National University Herald. Chemistry. 2010. 15(3): 85–91. https://doi.org/10.18524/2304-0947.2010.3.43826
- Rakitskaya T.L., Kiose T.A., Zryutina A.M. Solid-state catalysts based on bentonites and Pd(II)-Cu(II) complexes for low-temperature carbon monoxide oxidation. Solid State Phenomena. 2013. 200: 299–304. https://doi.org/10.1109/OMEE.2012.6464759
- Baiburtli A.V., Raskil’dina G.Z., Zlotskii S.S. Synthesis of ethers and cyclic acetals in the presence of CBV-720 zeolite. J. Appl. Chem. 2017. 90(7): 886–889. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1070427217070114
- Oger N., Lin Y.F., Le E. et al. Graphene-promoted acetalisation of glycerol under acid-free conditions. Green Chem. 2016. 18(6): 1531–1537. https://doi.org/10.1039/c5gc02316e
- Deutsch J., Martin A., Lieske H. Investigations on heterogeneously catalysed condensations of glycerol to cyclic acetals. J. Catal. 2007. 245(2): 428–435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2006.11.006
- Peters K. Mechanochemical reactions. In: Trudy Yevropeyskogo soveshchaniya po izmelcheniyu. Moscow, 1966. P. 80–103. (in Russian).
- Khodakov G.S. Grinding physics (Fizika izmelcheniya). Moscow: Nauka, 1972. (in Russian).
- Boldyrev V.V. About kinetic factors that determine specificity of mechanochemical processes in inorganic systems. Kinetics and catalysis. 1972. 13(6): 1411–1421.
- Avvakumov Ye.G. Mechanical methods for activating chemical processes (Mekhanicheskiye metody aktivatsii khimicheskikh protsessov). Novosibirsk, 1979. (in Russian).
- Dabizha O.N., Khat’kova O.N., Derbeneva Ye.V. The use of mechanochemical processing of zeolite-containing rocks to obtain highly efficient sorbents. Sorbtsionnye i Khromatograficheskie Protsessy. 2012. 12(6): 860–866. (in Russian).
- Salenko S.D. (ed.). Nauka, promyshlennost, oborona: Proc. 17th Sci. Conf. Novosibirsk, 2016. Vol. 4. P. 248–252.
- Chen L., Nohair В., Kaliaguine S. Glycerol acetalization with formaldehyde using water-tolerant solid acids. Appl. Catal. A. 2016. 509(5): 143-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2015.08.014